June 15, 2010
Twitter is over capacity
twitter is over capacity … may be its the world Cup fever.
October 17, 2009
Today I was going through some of the statistics and facts of twitter as we know twitter is one of the most successful social networking and micro-blogging websites .
First of all list go to some history about twitter, the idea of twitter comes out in 2000 by Jack Dorsey and the name of the service was Status as Jack Dorsey said ” We wanted to capture that in the name — we wanted to capture that feeling: the physical sensation that you’re buzzing your friend’s pocket. It’s like buzzing all over the world. So we did a bunch of name-storming, and we came up with the word “twitch,” because the phone kind of vibrates when it moves. But “twitch” is not a good product name because it doesn’t bring up the right imagery. So we looked in the dictionary for words around it, and we came across the word “twitter,” and it was just perfect. The definition was “a short burst of inconsequential information,” and “chirps from birds.” And that’s exactly what the product was. ” , after that he came with the name twttr see the photo
Some of the hard nosed facts about twitter and its growth engine are as follows:
- 1,382% year-over-year growth in February 2009.
- Total unique visitors grew from 3,398,791 in October 2008 to 23,538,791 last month.
- Twitter was the fastest growing member community site for the month of February.
- Zimbio (240%) and Facebook (228%) were the second and third-fastest growing online communities.
- Twitter is not just for kids: In February 2009, adults ages 35-49 had the largest representation on Twitter – almost 3 million unique visitors from this age group (almost 42% of the entire audience).
- 62% of the audience access Twitter from work only, while only 35% access it only from home.
- It’s all about mobile: In January 2009, 735,000 unique visitors accessed Twitter via their mobile device.
- The average unique visitor went to Twitter 14 times during the month.
- They spent an average of 7 minutes on the site.
- In Q4 2008, 812,000 unique users sent or received Twitter text messages (via AT&T or Verizon cell phones).
- The average tweet per person for the quarter was nearly 240.
List see the users of twitter:
- Twitter users with more than 50,000 followers were mostly celebrities
- 60.6% of the most active Twitter users are located in the U.S.
- 6.9% of the most active Twitter users are located in the UK
- 4.7% of the most active Twitter users are located in Japan
- 4.3% in Canada
- male users acount for 54%, female users account for 46%
- 88% of the 5% most active Twitter users have never missed checking their Twitter account before starting their day.
- 48% of the most active Twitter users have more than 100 followers
44% of the most active Twitter users have more than 100 friends
- 33% of the most active users are new users
Twitter users comes from these countries:
- 39.9% from USA
- 7.9% from India
- 7.9% from Germany
- 6.1% from UK
- 3.3% from Japan
Some reports say that many twitter users interact via 3rd party apps like Tweetdeck, Twhirl etc. So the actual numbers would be subsequently more than these stats.
For more information see :